Monday, September 26, 2016

Week Five – Sept. 26, 2016

Week Five – Sept. 26, 2016

Rain, Rain, Go Away!

Hello!
This week has been such a quality week!  I seriously love the mission more and more each day! 

A few things about Wasilla and Alaska in general:
1.  There are roads that are for cars, and then on the side of the road there are separate dirt roads for 4-wheelers and dirt bikes because nobody really drives cars here.  They get around on dirt bikes and 4-wheelers, which is actually pretty cool.
2.  You literally cannot find anyone in Alaska—they hide their house numbers!  No joke!!  Some of them even add extra numbers just so that people can’t find them.
3.  We pretty much go off-roading every day.  My dream of having a Jeep and going off-roading everyday has been fulfilled on my mission.  Our car is just covered in mud when we return home.
4.  I see moose so often now that it is not even exciting any more.  It’s just a normal thing.
5.  If it is the beginning or the ending of hunting season, no one is home.  Literally all of the houses are empty.
6.  It has rained every single day since I have been here—literally!
7.  The mountains are all covered in snow, so everyone says it should start snowing this week.

So, as you can tell—Alaska is pretty awesome, except for the rain and snow.  Haha, but honestly I love it!
 P-Day Hike (next four pictures)




This week has been so awesome!  I have grown to love my ward.  The people truly are some of the most amazing and genuine people ever.  They are so good to us, and I am so thankful for that. 

We are working with some of the coolest people ever.  One of the guys we’re working with is Bobby Smith.  He is less-active and is struggling with obeying the Word of Wisdom right now, but is one of the coolest guys and has such a cool life story.  He is a seven-time World Champion bull rider, but is now deaf and blind but one of the hardest workers I know.  When we teach him, we literally have to yell as loud as we can for him to hear us, but our lessons with him are so amazing, and he truly has such a strong testimony. 

Another guy we’re working with is named Bro. Stoelberg.  He is from New York, so we totally bonded over that.  Anyway, he is so cool and has such a crazy life story.  He was in 9/11 and survived it.  He was also on that plane that landed in the Hudson River [The new movie that just came out in the movie theaters, Sully, is about this incident,], and has been in prison a ton.   He has just had a crazy life and hasn’t been active in over 20 years.  He hasn’t even stepped a foot in a church building for that long.  We met him my very first day in Wasilla, and that following Sunday he came to church.  Just yesterday, he received a calling, and it was the coolest experience.  For the last few weeks he has been totally active and just excited about getting involved.  He has so much faith it’s crazy!  He is working on going through the temple, which just makes me so happy!

Our newest investigator is a guy named Samuel Bird.  He lives in a bus—it’s pretty cool.  We have our first official lesson with him this week, and I have so much faith in him.

We also started teaching these two teenage girls whose mother was recently baptized six months ago.  We taught our first lesson to them on Friday, and they have such strong desires to really know if this church is true.  I am so excited for the chance to teach them because, as I watched their mom while we taught them, she was just so happy watching her girls take the step starting on their own journeys.  She wants nothing more than for her family to live together for eternity, and I know as we were sitting there with them she could see for the first time that this is a possibility for her.  I am so excited to continue teaching them! 

We have a baptism this Tuesday for our investigator, Gracie, and I am so excited for her!  She is just the sweetest girl and is so excited to take this step.  She asked me to speak at her baptism, which made me so happy. 

I love this place!  I love the people!  I love this Gospel and the message we get to share each day!  I love the Book of Mormon, and I know that it is the true word of God!  I know that whatever guidance we need we can receive it if we sincerely ask our Heavenly Father and then daily, gently, search the scriptures.  The Book of Mormon is so true.  I don’t understand how people who really read it don’t believe it!  It truly is one of the most amazing books!  I feel so blessed to be given the opportunity to carry it everywhere I go and testify of it to everyone I see. 

Love you all so much!  Thanks for all that you do.  Hope you all have a great week!

Love, Sister Lake

P.S.  Little MTC reunion this week...got to see my MTC homies.  So much fun.


P.S.S.  Funny story for the week—The elders keep complaining about how they have no food, and so we told them we would bring them some.  They got super excited, and when we showed up with some roosters, they weren’t too happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment