Monday, September 12, 2016

Week Three - Sept. 12, 2016

Week Three - Sept. 12, 2016

Moose, Moose, and more Moose!

Hey all!  
I made it to Alaska, and it truly is SO beautiful here and SO cold as well!  All of the leaves are starting to change color and so everywhere you drive is amazing!  

Anchorage Alaska Mission missionaries in front of the Anchorage Alaska Temple
 Sister Lake with her mission president and wife, Pres. Eldon Ray Robinson

I'm in an area called Wasilla and it was just whitewashed about six weeks ago, so we are really working on trying to get the ward to wake up, as well as the area.  Sooo it's slow but it's coming along.  We work with a lot of in-actives, which is different but really cool.  We are currently working with three in-actives.  They all haven't been to church in over 20 years, and on Sunday every single one of them came to church for the first time in those 20 years, which was so cool.  My trainer is seriously awesome and has taught me so much already!  Her name is Sister Johnston, and she is from Logan Utah!
 Sister Lake and her trainer from Logan, Utah, Sister Johnston

It's been a crazy week, and a really hard week, but the more and more we work the better it gets.  I have truly come to learn the importance of prayer.  I have prayed more in this last week than I think I have my entire life.  I know that our Heavenly Father hears and answers our prayers, and that He knows us individually.  He knows what each and every one of us is going through and will give us guidance and comfort as we go to Him in earnest prayer and ask for His help.  I know that through the power of prayer, we are able to strengthen that relationship with our Father in Heaven and feel of His love, and I am so grateful for that.  It has been the one thing that has helped me get through this week, and I know the rest of my mission, and I will never forget that.

This gospel truly is amazing. This work is amazing!  I look at what we get to share with people I and feel pretty lucky.  It is so true and our Heavenly Father really truly does love us!  I know that He sent His son, Jesus Christ, to atone for our sins, and through His atonement we can grow and be strengthened.  It truly is an amazing thing.

A mission is the best choice I have ever made, and it's just starting.  Alaska is amazing!  The people are so amazing and have some crazy life stories! The food here, though, is well, let's say--interesting.  Mom you’re probably going to have a heart attack after this, but just know I almost did, too.  On Friday, we were driving and we came right in front of a mama moose and her baby, which was so cool to see --my first moose.  Then we went and ate lunch, and I ate moose for the first time, and then I went and ate dinner and had moose tenderloin for the first time.  That's right moose tenderloin--grossest thing I have ever eaten.   I was sitting at the table literally trying to swallow it whole praying I wouldn't throw up right then and there.  It was bad!  Anyways, I'm pretty sure after my mission I am never going to want to eat meat again.  So that is officially the craziest thing I have eaten as well as the grossest!
 First sighting of a moose and her baby

So excited for everything to come!  Thankful for the opportunity I have to be here and share such an awesome message.  Thanks for all you have done!  Love you and miss you all so much!

Love Sister Lake!

 Pictures of family to remind her of home

No comments:

Post a Comment