Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Monday, November 20, 2017

A Facebook mission!

Hello,
We are now a Facebook mission.  It has been so cool to see how the Lord is using technology to His advantage to further this amazing work and bring the Gospel to SO many!  We are still trying to get used to it, but can already see what a blessing it will be.  

We had Zone Conference this week where we received training on using the technology and learned all about the tools we have been given.  It was sooo good to see President and Sister Toone, and had interviews with them afterwards.  I surely do love them.

 Zone Conference

We had a really cool experience about a week ago.  We had received a media referral and were so excited.  We had church all day but planned on stopping by the referral's home later that evening.  We searched for the house address and couldn't find it, so we gave the referral's number a call.  As we called the number, Sister Moffit's (the mission secretary) name appeared with the number.  So, long story short, she gave us a call and said that her son was trying out his new referral app to see if it worked!  He made up a random street and address that just so happened to be in our area.  We had a good laugh, and we told her we were searching for the address last night.  We figured though that we were sent there for a reason, so we decided to tract the road.  

We started tracting and literally not a single person opened the door.  We felt like we needed to just do one more block and then head to our next appointment.  We knocked on a few more doors and still no one answered until we started walking up to the very last house on the block.  Before we even got to the door, a lady opened the door and told us to come in!  We sat down with her and she said, "I have been watching you go from door to door and was just praying that you would come to mine.  I thought you wouldn't make it this far down, though."  It was so cool to hear those words!  We talked with her for a long time.  Long story short, she used to be a member but had her records removed.  She has wanted to come back but just didn't know how or where to go, and then we came along!  It was such a sweet experience.  She is an amazing lady and full of so much energy!  She came to church and the ward just welcomed her right in, and she loved it!  Our Heavenly Father truly does know where each and every one of his children are, and He knows perfectly what they need.

I'm out of time but want to leave you with a quote someone shared on Sunday, and a quick scripture that I love about being thankful.  

It is not happy people that are thankful, it is thankful people that are happy. 

Alma 26:37:  Now my brethren, we see that God is mindful of every people, whatsoever land they may be in; yea, he numbereth his people, and his bowels of mercy are over all the earth.  Now this is my joy, and my great thanksgiving; yea, and I will give thanks unto my God forever.  Amen.

I am so thankful for a loving Heavenly Father and Savior that loves each one of us, knows us individually, and has blessed us with the Restored Gospel on this earth.  I am thankful for the opportunity we have to communicate with Him through prayer, and that He hears and answers our prayers.  I am truly thankful for my Savior and his Atonement, and the peace, strength, and hope that it has brought into my life.  I am thankful for the opportunity I have to serve a mission here in Alaska.  I am grateful for my amazing family and the support and love they have shown me!  And, I am so thankful for the joy and happiness this Gospel brings, and this great season brings as we reflect on all of the amazing things Heavenly Father has blessed us with and given to us to be thankful for.  I hope you all have an amazing Thanksgiving.  

Love you all, Sister Lake

PS:  A quick, kinda funny story:  We got in the car Sunday morning and our heater was broken--it was 9 degrees outside!  We drove down the mountain hoping that as the car warmed up the heater would start working.  We came out of church and it was still broken.  Everything in the car was completely frozen, haha.  We drove around all evening in a car that was freezing and had snow and ice all over the floor.  Thankfully, at about 8 p.m. we figured we would try clearing the vents, and the heater started working again.  (I may or may not have gotten frost bite on my left foot?!)  What a blessing it is to even have a car, am I right?  My companion and I thought this was a tender mercy; all of the talks at church were on being thankful.    

No comments:

Post a Comment