Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Monday, November 6, 2017

Transfer to Lazy Mountain and Cottonwood Wards

Hello!

Whenever I think about the amazing miracles we saw last week with Tommy and his dad, it still puts the BIGGEST smile on my face.  There are people that the Lord has prepared all around us.  It's amazing to see new converts as they finally have the opportunity to accept the Gospel and the happiness that it brings into their lives.

Sister Cox, Sister Oliver, and I were on this little spiritual high after last Sunday, but, sadly, we had to say goodbye and go our separate ways after having the opportunity to pick up the new missionaries and spending their first two days with them.  This experience has been truly one of my favorite things to do because of the "greenie fire" and desire they have to go out and work their VERY hardest, which is so contagious.  It was such a fun day.  

The new missionaries flew in Halloween afternoon.  We had lunch and orientation, and then Sister Oliver and I dropped Sister Cox off with her new companion.  This was so sad to say goodbye to my companion of six months--so many good times with her!  Then, Sister Oliver and I went back and had dinner, a testimony meeting, and a "Welcome to Alaska" presentation with all the new missionaries.  We spent the night at the mission home and were able to have such a sweet experience.  All of the new missionaries were out in their assigned areas, but as a mission we have made it a goal to drop everything that we are doing when 9:45 PM comes along, fall on our knees, and pray together all at the same time wherever we might be in Alaska and the Yukon.  We pray to find our brothers and sisters that the Lord has prepared.  We have been doing this combined prayer for a couple of weeks now, and boy have we seen miracles come about, which has been amazing!  Anyway, Sister Oliver and I were able to kneel down with President and Sister Toone that evening, and Pres. Toone offered one of the sweetest, sincerest prayers I have ever heard--such a sweet experience.  I love them so much! 

 Last day with my favorite zone and best trio ever!

The next morning we got up, had studies, did companion study with them, and then headed to the church for some trainings and have the new missionaries meet their trainers.  So fun!  After that, we were able to spend some time with Sister Toone and just talk with her.  I then said goodbye to Sister Oliver and headed to my new area.  I am now serving in the Lazy Mountain and Cottonwood Wards with Sister Kimball!  I am SO excited.  The first few days have been awesome.  Wednesday, right after I arrived there, we went to visit some less activities, and decided to knock on a few doors around one of them.  We knocked on this one lady's door who was SO amazing.  We talked with her for about 15 minutes, and it was so good.  She invited us to come back to learn more.  She knew who we were and everything.  It made us both think of the talk this last conference that said along the lines that the good women of the world will flock to the church in the latter days.  

My new home--the cutest red barn ever!  (And, yes, it is officially winter!)

The following day, we stopped by some potential investigators.  When they opened the door, they were my old neighbors from my very first area!!!  We had had so many good talks.  He is a youth pastor and is such a nice person.  My trainer and I felt very strongly that we shouldn't do anything but just be nice, ask questions about how the work is going for him, and then casually bring up the Gospel.  That is exactly what we did for 4-1/2 months, but we always felt that at some point he would be ready to hear about the Restored Gospel.  So, he was ready because he set an appointment with us for Friday!  It made me SO HAPPY.  The Lord has such a wonderful plan!  

The next day, we stopped by a returning less active's home who just arrived back home from vacation and said, "My daughter and her finance are living here with me right now and would like to learn more about the church."  We had a lesson with them on Saturday and the spirit was SO strong!  One of them came to church the next day and LOVED it.  MIRACLES.

 Sister Kimball, Sister Storrs, and ferrets!

Ferrets!
Sunday was probably one of the longest, but best days ever.  We were at church all day long.  I literally met hundreds of new people between our two wards, and all I can say is that I can already tell that I am going to LOVE it here.  The people are amazing!

We literally have seen so many miracles, and it is just the beginning.  Many good things are going to happen because the Lord is aware of these areas.  My companion is amazing and literally one of the funniest people I know.  I'm so thankful for Sister Kimball; she keeps life fun!  I just wish each of you were able to spend at least one hour with her because she would definitely help you reach your maximum amount of laughter for the day!  We both looked at each other two days after we became companions and after a series of tender mercies, and said, "Huh, it's weird.  It's like Heavenly Father knew that we needed to be here at this exact time in these exact areas with each other for some reason."  Heavenly Father's plan is SO GOOD.  I cannot even say this enough.  

One of my favorite scriptures found in Alma 26:

1 And now, these are the words of Ammon to his brethren, which say thus:  My brothers and my brethren, behold I say unto you, how great reason have we to rejoice; for could we have supposed when we started from the land of Zarahemla that God would have granted unto us such great blessings?

2 And now, I ask, what great blessings has he bestowed upon us?  Can ye tell?

Not only is this relatable to missionary work, obviously, butI have definitely been in the exact same position as Ammon and his brethren.  At the beginning of my mission I wouldn't have believed or even imagined all of the blessings I would witness, receive, and notice during my mission.  I look back now and am truly amazed at the Lord's hand in my life, my areas, the people I love, my family's life, and everyone around me.  It is truly amazing.  But, just like Ammon and his brethren, the beginning was NOT EASY.  It is just like when trials are thrown our way, at the very beginning it is hard.  It is hard to recognize the blessings and the Lord's hand through it all. But, looking back on every trial, we are able to truly see the Lord's hand the entire time, and see the blessings bestowed upon us as we exercise faith, rely on our Savior, and endure with a perfect brightness of hope in the Lord's plan for us.  I know that Heavenly Father has such an amazing plan for each and everyone of us.  It is not going to be easy.  There will be bumps in the road, but if we trust in our Heavenly Father's love and plan He has for each of us, and do the things He has asked, everything will work out.  Recognize those blessings each and every day, and hold onto them.  Just remember that the Lord is aware of you.  I love this Gospel.  I love the hope and peace that it truly brings.  I love the knowledge it give us and the guidance that knowledge brings.

Thank you for the many prayers.  I love and appreciate you all very much!

Love, Sister McKenna Lake

 When you step in bear poop!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment