Monday, October 30, 2017

Monday, October 30, 2017

Week of Miracles!!!

Hello,
I truly don't even know where to begin.  This week has been one of the most incredible weeks I have ever had.  I just want to start off by saying, "I LOVE this Gospel, and I LOVE being a missionary, and I LOVE my Heavenly Father and Savior Jesus Christ so much!  They are truly a part of our lives and are so involved in this great work.  God is a god of miracles, and He truly hears and answers our prayers.  The Book of Mormon is TRUE, and so powerful, and as we put our trust in Heavenly Father He will prepare a way for all things.

This email is a long, but definitely one worth reading, I PROMISE!

We had such an amazing experience with our investigator Tommy this past week.  We have been teaching Tommy for about five weeks.  He is in the Bush Branch, and he lives in a village called Teller, which is about 70 miles north of Nome.  We have been meeting with him over the phone every week about three times a week.  He is truly one of the most humble and most prepared people I have ever taught.  When there were elders up in Nome, they had tracted him and given him a Book of Mormon.  The elders were taken out shortly afterwards, and we received the referral.  

The first time we called him we asked how reading was going, and he was in 2 Nephi.  We were so excited and completely blown away!  We started meeting with him multiple times per week and started teaching the discussions.  He took everything in and had so much faith.  He had prayed about the Book of Mormon and the things we taught him, and he knew that they were true.  

We invited him to be baptized on October 28, and he said YES!  We continued with the discussions, and one of the most incredible lessons we had with him was about the Word of Wisdom.  We went over what the Word of Wisdom was, and after we asked him if he had any comments, questions, or thoughts, and if he was willing to live it, he said, "I didn't know that God didn't want us to drink coffee, but it makes sense.  I will stop."  That was it!  All he needed was to know that God has asked us not to drink coffee, and that was enough for him to go from seven cups a day to zero!  HOW AMAZING IS THAT?  Can you even believe the FAITH he has?  It was such a humbling lesson for me, seeing how willing he was to be obedient to the things that Heavenly Father asks.  

We continued to teach him and ended up having to push his date back a week so that he could attend Sacrament meeting three times.  With stake conference and General Conference, we didn't have Sacrament meeting for two weeks.  We were getting close to finishing up the lessons two Saturdays ago when he said, "Oh, I forgot to tell you, but I just found out that I will be in Anchorage for a week because my dad needs to have surgery.  I fly in tomorrow!"  WE GOT SO EXCITED!  The Bush Branch is amazing but sometimes it's hard not ever having the opportunity to meet the contacts in person.  So, whenever people fly in, it is SO MUCH fun.

Anyway, we were able to go and visit him Monday night.  It was so good to meet him in person, and he was exactly what I expected him to look like.  We sat and talked and talked and talked some more about the Gospel and Book of Mormon reading.  He was in the middle of Alma and just loving it!  While we were talking, his dad came downstairs and waived at us with the biggest smile.  He came and sat down with us, and, long story short, we asked him if he wanted to learn more about the things his son has come to know is true, and he said, "YES!"  This was such an amazing and powerful experience!  The spirit was so strong.  His father's surgery went well the following day, and we continued to meet with them.  

With the next lesson, our branch president and his wife joined us.  We felt prompted to read from 3 Nephi 17.  We were a little confused as to why, but as we were reading, we understood exactly why.  The spirit totally led the conversation and was exactly what Tommy and his dad needed to hear.  One of my favorite parts was while we were discussing the peace our Savior Jesus Christ can bring into our lives during tough times, Tommy brought up and said word for word the story in 1 Nephi 7 when Laman and Lemuel tied up Nephi.  Just sitting there, realizing his love for the Book of Mormon and how much he just lights up as he talks about it, made me realize the power of the Book of Mormon.  After the lesson, Sister Cox said, "I have been a member my whole life and couldn't tell you that story of Laman and Lemuel if I tried."  So cool to see the impact the Book of Mormon has.  The spirit was SO strong.  

As we continued with the lesson, though, we started talking about the logistics for his baptism on November 4.  There is no building where he lives, much less a font; It's a village of 200 people.  The water outside is frozen over this time of year, and it's super expensive to fly.  We were trying to figure out how we can make his baptism happen because he wanted to be baptized so badly and was so ready.  We had thrown out a couple of ideas and planned on just bringing up a portable baptismal font (Yes, those are a real thing; they have used the font before in this branch.), but left with the intent to keep praying about it.  We wanted him to get baptized here, but he was leaving early Saturday morning.  We continued to pray, and the very next day we received the answer to our prayers.  He called and said, "We have extended our stay until Tuesday because my dad needs another surgery.  MIRACLES...and this was the first of many!!!  

After that, we felt like he needed to get baptized here in Anchorage on Sunday.  We talked with him, and he felt the same way.  So, within 24 hours we were able to make all of the arrangements for his baptism the following day.  He had his interview and did incredible.  We made a program, filled the font, somehow managed to do it in the middle of three wards that day (miracles in and of itself--the members are very understanding!), and everything was good to go.  There is no way the baptism at the baptism should have happened, but the Lord's hand was in every second of it.  Everything came together so smoothly and happened perfectly.  I know that our Heavenly Father was looking out for us and was so happy for Tommy.

On Sunday at noon, right after church, Tommy was baptized, confirmed, and ordained to the office of a Priest.  I have never felt the spirit stronger than in that tiny room where 20 of us were crammed int.  I don't even have words to describe how I felt.  Pure joy and happiness filled my heart as he entered the waters of baptism, but especially as he received the gift of the Holy Ghost.  Such an amazing experience and miracle to witness.

 TOMMY'S BAPTISM!!!

The rest of the day Tommy had THE BIGGEST SMILE on his face and had this amazing light about him.  His dad was there the entire day, and I know he felt the spirit.  The sisters will be able to start teaching him and his family.  HOW COOL!  The weeks was so amazing, filled with many miracles.  I was very humbled to see God's glorious plan He had for Tommy unfold in front of us.  He is very aware of each of His children, which just amazes me every day.  I love Tommy, and I love this wonderful and glorious Gospel SO MUCH!  It truly is the source of pure happiness and joy, and Tommy was the perfect example of that this week.

Also, another cool thing...the elder that tracted Tommy up in Nome was able to baptize and confirm him.  Tommy called and asked Elder Sanchez if he would baptize him.  The phone was on speaker when he asked him, and Elder Sanchez's reaction was PRICELESS.  He was so happy.  He is such an incredible missionary, and it made me happy that he was able to witness the fruits of his amazing labors.  Such a special moment!

 Tommy with his father and Elder Sanchez!

A couple more things this past week...I was able to return to my first area, Memory Lake, and see the amazing people there and work with the incredible sisters.  I visited so many friends that I love who hold a special place in my heart.  One of those people is Bobby Smith.  He was the blind and partially deaf bull rider that we worked a ton on to quit smoking.  In just a couple of weeks, he will be going through the temple for his first time.  So amazing!!  He told me that it has been almost an entire year since he has had a cigarette.  MIRACLES!!  The sisters are doing some incredible work there.  

 BOBBY D and his present that he has waited nine months to give me.  He knows I love American flags!

I was also able to see Susie and Lonnie, which was a result of a tracting miracle.  They are preparing to go through the temple as well!  It was sooo good to be back and see many people that I love.  

 Susie and Lonnie

We also received transfer calls.  Sadly, I will be leaving, along with Sister Cox.  I will be going to the Lazy Mountain Ward, as well as the Cottonwood Ward.  We will be "pinkwashing" the Cottonwood Ward, which means replacing the elders there, and I am so excited.  Sister Kimball is my new companion, and she is awesome!  I am so sad to leave this amazing area, and people, and my amazing companions!  Truly so sad!!

 Last district tract!

Sister Dunlop and Sister Yeates

RIP district leader Lewis

Just a quick thought, though.  I have been reading and studying 3 Nephi this last week (favorite book in the B of M), and I want to share two of my favorite verses from Chapter 15:

 9.  Behold, I am the law, and the light.  Look unto me, and endure to the end, and ye shall live; for unto him that endureth to the end will I give eternal life.

17.  The other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

Our Savior Jesus Christ LOVES us and is so aware of us.  Verse 17 has really stuck out to me this past week as I have watched Tommy come unto the fold.  I know that our Heavenly Father and Savior Jesus Christ were so aware of him and brought him, and soon his family, unto the fold.  And then in verse 9, when Christ says, "Look unto me and endure," He is our most perfect example, and He is there with His arm outstretched.  It is through our Savior Jesus Christ and His atonement that we are able to truly endure to the end and receive eternal life.  He loves us and wants us to come unto him.  How amazing is that...knowing that we have a loving savior who invites us to come unto him and endure to the end?

Anyway, I love you and know that the Book of Mormon is powerful.  Please read it each and every day.  Have such a great week!  I love you all!

Sister McKenna Lake
Anchorage Alaska Mission


The Mannings!  Our ward mission leader from the Bush Branch.  I finally got to meet him in person...six months later!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment