Monday, October 9, 2017

Monday, October 23, 2017

Weekly!  (from 2 weeks ago)

Hello!
Quick update!  It has been one of the fastest weeks of my mission, and such an incredible week!  

We started our week off with flying to Fairbanks.  We were able to spend P-day with the zone up there, and then we all split off. I had the opportunity to go back to North Pole for three days and work with the sisters there!  It was so fun getting to see the incredible work they are doing.  They are amazing sisters, and it was such a privilege having the opportunity to work with them.  We saw so many miracles, including finding some awesome new potential investigators.  I was also able to visit with many people that I just loved and miss so much.  Such a sweet reunion!

 North Pole with the North Pole sisters!

Throwback--Sisters Cox and Lake served together in North Pole and visit six months later
  Pam and Gerome, my favs!!
We arrived home Wednesday evening just in time for a lesson with our investigator, Cara.  What an incredible lesson!!  We had planned on talking about the Gospel of Jesus Christ, but as we started talking with her we felt prompted to read with her from the Book of Mormon and help her see how it applies to her life.  We read from 2 Nephi 31 (one of my favorite chapters) and read about the Gospel.  As we were reading, we had such a good discussion with her, and it really helped her understand how the teachings apply to her.  One of her favorite verses from the chapter was: 

2: Wherefore, the things which I have written sufficeth me, save it be a few words which I must speak concerning the doctrine of Christ; wherefore, I shall speak unto you plainly, according to the plainness of my prophesying.

3: For my soul delighteth in plainness; for after this manner doth the Lord God work among the children of men. For the Lord God giveth light unto the understanding; for he speaketh unto men according to their language, unto their understanding.

As I was thinking about that, i realized how cool that was and how cool it must be for people that are new to the Gospel to hear those words.  He speaks to us in a way that WE can understand, and the things he speaks are very plain.  That brings me so much comfort and peace in knowing that our Heavenly Father knows us individually and knows exactly what we need to hear AND how we need to hear it.  It makes me realize how individually he loves each of his children!  Also, how simple His Gospel is!  Yes, living the Gospel seems hard sometimes, but really it is so simple.  The chapter goes on and talks about the Gospel of Jesus Christ, faith repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end.  Oh, how I love the Gospel so much!

Thursday, we hopped in the car and headed for a little place called Hope Junction--coolest place ever!  It is located halfway from Anchorage to the Kenai Peninsula (the most beautiful drive imaginable!), and we met the Soldotna sisters there.  Sister Cox went tracting with them for a couple of days, and then Sister Oliver and I headed back to Anchorage to go on exchanges with the sisters there.  One of the reasons why I love being in a trio is that the car rides are 10x more fun!  It was such a party.  

Sister Bentley
I went on exchanges with Sister Bentley in her area, and we saw many miracles!  She is such a stellar missionary and literally the funniest person ever!  I felt like it was just yesterday that I picked her up at the airport, and now she is almost done being trained!  Time flies so fast!  We had such a good time, found some solid new people to teach, and taught some awesome lessons!  The biggest miracle of the day, though---we went to teach an investigator of theirs who is 11, and her family is all less active.  Her baptismal date is Nov. 4.  As we were driving there she shared with me how she just doesn't feel good about the baptismal date.  She thinks she is just going to be baptized into less activeness like her parents.  The missionaries and members have asked her parents to come to church 1000 times, and they keep saying, "No."  

Anyway, long story short, I asked her what she felt like was needed for her to be totally prepared to be baptized because she has a testimony and strong desire to be baptized, yet she doesn't have much support!  Sister Bentley said if her parents would start coming then it would be totally okay because she would have that support at home!  We talked about the lesson and felt prompted to teach the Gospel of Jesus Christ, prayed, went in to her home and had the most AMAZING lesson ever.  

We asked the mom, who was a convert, about her baptism day, and then at the very end of the lesson she said out of nowhere that she has been feeling like something has been missing in her life, and during this lesson she realized it was church.  She was so sincere!  She brought her daughter and the whole family to church on Sunday for the first time in forever!  She has started reading the scriptures and praying again--SUCH A MIRACLE!  The Lord hears and answers prayers!

We exchanged back, headed back down to Hope Junction, and picked up Sister Cox!  Boy, oh boy, do I love my companions, I love going on exchanges, and I love all the sisters, but it is always so good getting back with my comps!!

 My companions, best trio ever!

I love you all!  I love this Gospel!  I love my Savior Jesus Christ, and I love my Heavenly Father.  This church is true.  The Book of Mormon is the word of God and truly fills our lives with happiness and peace.  Joseph Smith was a prophet called of God.  Missionary work is so important, and I love the work so much!  Have such a good week!

Oh, I totally forgot to share one of the coolest experiences!  I FINALLY MET ANGIE PITSENBARGER, which was one of the coolest experiences.  I had the privilege of teaching her over the phone since she lives in the Bush Branch area.  She was baptized not too long ago, and I finally was able to meet her as she traveled through Anchorage.  She is one of the most incredible people I have ever taught, and it was so fun finally getting to meet her in person.  She is such an amazing person with such a powerful testimony and love for this wonderful Gospel.  She has been such an amazing example to me.  

 The trio with ANGIE Pirsenbarger!!!

Love, Sister Lake
Alaska Anchorage Mission

 Brother Garza
 Sister Cox and I surprised Sister Hardt!

No comments:

Post a Comment