Monday, December 11, 2017

Monday, December 11, 2017

Weekly

Hello!  
It has been such an amazing week!  First off, we got transfer calls this week.  I will be staying here in just the Lazy Mountain Ward and will be training a new missionary.  I am SO BEYOND excited and just SO thankful for this amazing opportunity.  I pick her up on Thursday and seriously cannot wait!  It will be awesome to have that "greenie fire" around me 24/7!  Sister Kimball, my old companion, will be staying in the Cottonwood Ward (our other ward we were in this last transfer) and getting Sister Wilden as a companion.  They will be so close, thankfully.  It's about to be a stellar transfer.

We also had an amazing experience this last week with our new investigator Kassandra.  We had tracted into her my very first hour being in this area six weeks ago and hadn't been able to make super good contact with her; however, in these last six weeks the Lord has prepared her so much.  We were planning on visiting Wednesday morning but felt inspired to go and visit her later that evening.  We stopped by, she came to the door, and said, "I have been thinking about you girls all day, and I thought if I prayed hard enough that God would send you to me, and here you are!"  We visited with her for a couple of minutes, and then she set up an appointment for the following day at 11 o'clock.  We walked away feeling so thankful that the Lord guided us to her at that time on that day.  It just goes to show how aware He is of each of His children, and the things we need that very moment.

We went back the following day and had the most amazing visit with her.  She opened up a ton, and shared with us the things she has been struggling with.  We talked and testified that she was a child of God and that He hears and answers her prayers.  We shared with her the video called "Mountains to Climb" with President Eyring speaking; the spirit was SO incredibly strong.  We talked afterwards and she asked who the man was that was speaking.  We began to teach her about the Restoration and taught her that we have latter-day prophets and apostles today.  She said, "As he was speaking, I just had this feeling that I can't even explain come over over me."   It always makes me so happy to see when these people that I love so much, and just want them to have the Gospel in their lives so badly, recognize and understand the spirit.  It truly is one of the most joyful experiences.

The following day we went back because her kids had been sick, and for "Light the World" challenge, we were supposed to serve little children.  We brought them some dollar sundaes and had another incredible visit with them.  We taught them all about the Book of Mormon, and before we could even give her one, she said, "What can I do to get one of those books?"  She wanted one so badly; it was so cool to see.  We gave her the book and marked some of our favorite chapters, and chapters we felt she could use at this time.  We left her with Moroni's Promise and invited her to read and pray about it.  She said, "I most definitely will, but I have to say, with you showing up exactly when I needed it, and the amazing feeling I have as you teach and testify, I already know in my heart that this must be true, but I will still do it."  Something that I have learned and experienced so much on my mission is that the spirit testifies of truth, and for Kassandra to recognize the spirit testifying of the truthfulness of this Gospel has brought me so much joy.

I know without a doubt this Gospel is true and this is the Lord's great work.  It is so very humbling to realize that Heavenly Father has given us this amazing opportunity to be a part of this great work when He could really do it all Himself.  I am so truly grateful.  I know I share a lot about how God is aware of us and that I know the Book of Mormon is true, but those are two things that I have come to know so clearly and specifically on my mission.  They are two things that have helped me day-in-and-day-out.  So, I know I repeat myself a lot, but I know without a doubt that we are children of God, and that He knows us so very individually.  He hears and answers our prayers.  And, I know that the Book of Mormon is truly another testament of Jesus Christ and is the word of God.  I love that book so much!  And how thankful I am to have it to turn to for guidance and direction in my life.  This church is true, and what a wonderful season it is to celebrate our Savior Jesus Christ's birth.  What better way than going out and #lighttheworld by serving others.  I love you and am so thankful for each of you!  Have such an amazing week!

Love, Sister McKenna Lake

 Sister Burdick and I going back to our North Pole days!

PS:  The stake I'm serving in did an amazing Nativity display this week where they transformed the entire church into Bethlehem and had over 1000 nativities displayed from all over the world.  Such an amazing experience, and so powerful to watch as the entire community came together and celebrated Christ's birth!  

Nativities in the native room
  The international room
 Home Sweet Home room

PSS:  Alaska is playing a trick on us--instead of below-freezing temperatures, we have had this crazy warm, rainy weather, which then freezes at night resulting in the entire surface of Alaska being covered in a thick layer of ice skating rink.  Tracting is quite the experience to say the least.  Pray for us!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment