Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Monday, October 31, 2016

Week of Miracles!!

Alright, so this week was truly a week of miracles.  We had some really cool experiences and were able to talk to so many people about the Gospel.  On Wednesday, we met with the Ronne family, and before I tell you what happened I'm going to give you a little background story.  To be totally honest--the first two or three weeks out in the field were pretty rough...I was just so homesick.  So, my very first Monday in the field we had a FHE with one of my favorite families, the Hafens, and we talked about baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost.  After the lesson was done, Sister Hafen started asking me about my family, and it came up that I have a little sister that is almost eight.  They asked when she was going to be baptized, and I told them on November 12.  I think she could tell that I was a little sad.  She said, "You guys should set a goal to have a baptism on that same day!"  So, we started praying in every single one of our prayers to have a baptism on that date.  As the weeks went on, we slowly stopped because we weren't really teaching anyone, but within the last couple of weeks we started praying about having a baptism on Nov. 12 again.  

A little over a week ago, we invited Kaylynn to be baptized, asked her to pray about a date that she would like as her baptismal date, and to let us know at our next lesson.  She did what we asked and made her final decision for the date to be on NOVEMBER 12!!!  When she said that exact date, I just had this overwhelming feeling come over me.  I was trying so hard to hold back my tears.  This experience was such a testimony builder that our prayers do not go unheard!  Heavenly Father hears each and every one of our prayers, and He answers them on His own timetable.  This was such an amazing experience--I honestly still can't put into words how I felt.

Right after we left the Ronne's home, we received a text from our good friend, Marvin Lyon (our upstairs neighbor).  About three weeks ago he asked us when we were going to start teaching him.  We gave him a tabbed Book of Mormon and told him to read Moroni 10 and let us know when he wants us to start teaching him.  He left for two weeks to work on the slope, and two days after he returned home he sent us a text that said, "I have read all of the passages tabbed and want to be taught.  When are you available?"  The tears just started flowing at this point.  He not only read Moroni 10, but also read Alma 32, 3rd Nephi 11, the introduction, and the testimonies of the witnesses.  We were able to have our very first lesson with him the very next day, which went so well.  He accepted the lesson of the restoration really well and is seriously reading the Book of Mormon.  He is absolutely my favorite.  We have become BFFs with him, and I really cannot wait for our next lesson with him.  He is so ready!

We have been in a drought with service lately because a lot of people here like to do everything on their own.  They are very independent and so nobody ever wants any help, but that changed this week.  We had so many service opportunities for the community, less actives, and part-member families.  It was so much fun and such an awesome experience.  As each week goes by, I grow to love the mission more and more, even the hard times.  If there weren't hard times, then those days like Wednesday would not mean so much.  The Gospel is true.  The Book of Mormon is true.  I feel so honored to be given the opportunity to go out and share this Gospel and testify of the Book of Mormon each and every day.


Last P-day we went on a hike.  We let the elders plan it.  We gathered together at  the starting point, began the hike, and THREE HOURS LATER reached the top!  There wasn't a trail.  The elders just decided to pick some random mountain and climb it in a foot of snow.  Honestly, so much fun!  We reached the top and realized we only had 45 minutes left of P-Day, and so we just slid down the mountain and got thrashed by the rocks.  It was probably one of the stupider things I have done, but so much fun!  



Alaska is beautiful!  It is covered in snow and freezing, but so beautiful.  People walk around in shorts and flip flops like it's the middle of summer when it is like 15 degrees and snowy outside--it's crazy!!

The mission is awesome--hard, but awesome!  I am starting to appreciate the hard days so much more because it means that something good is going to happen.  And, those good things are SO worth the hard times.  Love you so much!  Miss you all so much!  Have such a great week!

Love, Sister Lake

PS--I totally got food poisoning this week from my favorite food ever--sushi!  So, I'm never going to be able to eat that again, which is kind of a bummer.

 Sarah Palin's house

No comments:

Post a Comment